It just so happened that we had a solid 4 full bags of carrots in the fridge that had been shoved to the back corner for far too long. Apparently, everyone in the house is neglecting their vitamin C needs (might explain why we all have colds right now…). And I’ve been on a serious granola/protein bar making spree as of late, so I figured why not give carrot a try. To my surprise they turned out pretty freaking awesome. Now I’m glad we have so many carrots, because I know I’ll be making these bad boys again soon…
I didn’t have a lot of the ingredients I originally wanted to include (raisins, pineapple, or walnuts), but with how tasty these were I don’t think I’d change a thing! If you do throw in some other goodies let me know how they turn out!
3/4 c. raw almonds
2/3 c. shredded carrot
1/2 c. pitted dates
1/3 c. unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 c. quick oats (almond or coconut flour would also be good!)
1-3 scoops protein powder (I used 1 scoop vanilla, 2 scoops plain hemp)
Dash of cinnamon, ginger, and sea salt to taste
1. Pour almonds into food processor and pulse until they are a flour-like texture.
2. Add rest of ingredients and blend until they are evenly mixed and begin to clump together. You will likely have to scrap the sides of the food processor a few times to achieve this.
3. Test thickness of mixture. If you cannot roll it into a solid ball add more oats and/or protein powder.
4. Spread mixture out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (I made my bars about 1/2 inch thick) and freeze for 20 minutes before cutting.
5. Store in fridge or freezer until you’re in need of an energy boost! Will keep for 2 to 3 weeks.
Note: These would also make great protein balls!