Many people shudder at the term “veggie burger” and that makes me incredibly sad. While I’m not really into food pretending to be something it’s not (vegetarian “chicken” nuggets? umm no thanks), there are many meatless burgers stuffed with wholesome, plant-based ingredients that are delicious. Does this burger taste like a Big Mac? No. Does it make you want to lick every single crumb off your plate? Absolutely.
My wonderful boyfriend is not a vegetarian and he can’t get enough of these. Seriously, tonight’s battle over who got the last burger got pretty heated. It secretly gives me hope I can still convert him one day…
But anyway, give homemade veggie burgers a try! You have no idea what you’re missing.
1 15 oz. can low sodium black beans
2 large portobello mushrooms
1/2 head of broccoli
1 large carrot
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
2-3 tablespoons oats or breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon A1 sauce
1 t worchester sauce
Dash of oregano, basil, garlic, and pepper to taste
Olive or coconut oil for frying
1. Wash and drain black beans then mash.
2. Remove gills from the mushrooms. Finely chop mushrooms, broccoli, and carrots.
3. Mix together remaining ingredients and shape into patties (if mixture isn’t holding together you can add more oats).
4. Heat oil in a frying pan and cook patties for several minutes on each side or until crisp.
5. Serve on a bun or eat as is. I recommend topping with barbecue sauce, lettuce, and tomato. Enjoy!