As soon as I saw this combination I had to try it. Two of my favorite produce items, in a cake, AND covered in buttercream? And wouldja look at that, they both happen to be in season 🙂
1 cup coconut oil (melted)
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups shredded zucchini
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter
dash of vanilla extract and salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice (or juice of 1 lemon)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8 inch cake pans.
- Grate zucchini and place on a few layers of paper towel. Wrap and squeeze the zucchini to move excess moisture. I would do it over the sink as there’s a lot of liquid in these babies!
- Combine oil, eggs, sugar, and applesauce until evenly mixed and then add vanilla.
- Add zucchini half a cup at a time.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together then slowly add the mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Carefully add in 1 ½ cups of the blueberries (save the rest for garnish).
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Beat together the sugar, butter, and vanilla.
- Once thoroughly mixed add in the lemon juice and beat for an addition 3 minutes.
- Refrigerate until cake is cooled and ready to frost.
Hope you enjoy it as much a I did!