Butternut Squash Empanadas
- 1/2 medium-sized butternut squash, roasted
- 2 pre-made pie crusts, room temperature
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp red wine
- 1 Tbsp fresh Thyme
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrap flesh of the squash into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Roughly chop onion and sauté with butter and salt and pepper over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add the red wine and garlic and cook for an addition 3 minutes.
- Combine the sautéed ingredients with the squash. Add the feta, thyme, and red pepper and mash until evenly mixed.
- Roll out pie crust and cut circles at least 3 inches in diameter. Brush circles with egg, place approximately a tablespoon of squash mixture (amount will vary depending on the size of your circles) in the middle of each circle, then fold over the dough and crimp edges the secure.
- Transfer empanadas to an ungreased baking sheet, brush outside with additional egg, and cook for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with additional thyme and feta sprinkled on top.